Friday, July 23, 2010

How Long Ahead Can You Mix Pancake Batter

And that's all.

A Fernanda Pivano, Mondovi Breo.



[Rome] Sunday 30 [May 1943]

Dear Fern,

your letter moved me deeply and if I could just get the train to prove that it is true that surrounds the frost and the hostility . But I do not understand why he is so bad right now who knows who knows how to work nine hours a day and then remain almost. It does not always aspired to independence? Unless happen as everyone once ottenutala not know what to do with it. We go back to that what I've always recommended: we face an inner life - study, devotion, of human interests that are not only 'get', but 'being' - and see that life will have a meaning. I could not move because we had policemen in the house for long time - one of our employee was arrested ¹ - and imagine the grief.
Dear Fern, the loneliness that you feel and care in one way, going to the people and "giving" instead of "receive". (It's the same sermon sacrosanct). Not that I yearn to be the one to which you should donate - especially as the gifts that you could do me the solution but still would not increase the pie. It is a social and moral problem that first you must learn to work, to exist, not only for himself but also for some others, for others. Since
one says "I'm just 'are' foreign and unknown, "" I feel the frost, "will always be worse. 's just who wants to be , you remember well. To live a full and rich need to reach out to others, we must humble himself and serve. And that's all.
Our position here is very precarious. The host occasionally makes plans to restore the cabin in Piedmont - I would not mind. But in the meantime - fast and loose - I do not do anything and I have more peace. Stop it with that stupid story of the check. Think rather to translate the 'Farewell , and the check will buy a scooter.
Come and see.
Pavese


¹ Among the numerous arrests for activities Fascist of May 1943 in Rome, there was also that of Lola Berardelli (future wife of Felice Balbo), arrested in the offices of the publishing house in via Claudio Monteverdi.


From: Cesare Pavese, Letters 1926-1950, vol. 2, edited by Lorenzo World and Italo Calvino, Turin, Einaudi, 1966, pp . 458-459.

0 comments:

Post a Comment